Brighton ASDA, 1987

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

mickthefitter

Brighton ASDA, 1987

Post by mickthefitter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:59 pm

I've just scanned this image of a supermarket car park from 1987, taken from October's Practical Classics Magazine, the reason being there are two Marinas in the scene. One appears to be a Sandglow Mk2 Coupe near the left of the picture, and the other a Harvest Gold Mk1 four door. If anything, on close inspection with a magnifying glass, the Mk1 looks in better nick than the Mk2. Unfortunately the Mk1 is right on the crease in the page, so its shape is broken up in the photo. The reason why I find this image interesting is that while there are plenty of Fords and Vauxhalls in the photo, I cannot see a single example of a Ford Cortina or Vauxhall Viva, the Marina's two main rivals. I know there were still plenty of Cortinas and Vivas around in 1987, but I find it curious that in a random snapshot of a new supermarket opened in 1987, for all the derision the Marina gets from bar-stool experts, it's easy to pick out two Morris Marinas from the previous decade in daily use, yet their 1970s peer group are notable by their absence.
Asda image.jpg

MonteHal

Re: Brighton ASDA, 1987

Post by MonteHal » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:08 pm

What an interesting find. Shame Mk1 is in such an unfortunate place in the image. Thanks for sharing.