What did you do to your Marina today?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy, norway_triumph, Number 63

PHUQ
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Re: What did you do to your Marina today?

Post by PHUQ » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:31 pm

You do pick 'em Gareth! That said- the yellow Coupe is lovely (underseal tidemark excepted). And it at least sounds like you'll get some cake out of the deal...
Matt
1974 1973 Tundra Black Tulip 1800 SDL TC Estate "Mud"- Freshly Franked rolling shell.
Really horrible 1972 Valencia Blue Triumph 2.5 notaPIanymore Estate.

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:25 am

Story of my life, mate, story of my life! :lol: :rolls: Cake is all I'll get out of the red Special, she offered the car to me! Not because it'll cost too much, I haven't even given a price as I don't really want to take it on, but she knows I'm an enthusiast and the car would be in safe hands with me. She genuinely love the car, talks about the memories she has with it so much I feel like I've owned the car myself. I was reluctant to do the work even if I got paid for it but now it would be like me taking on another project so have no idea what to do. It needs saving and I'm probably the only one who won't scrap it. It is bad and realistically should be broken up for parts but I can't do that cos I know how she feels about the car, I felt the same way with REP and would only sell her to someone I knew who would look after her. So there you have it, I've been offered a car I have no room for, no enthusiasm for and certainly no money to restore it as of yet, but if I leave it it'll stay where it is getting more rotten and end up scrapped alltogether.

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:20 pm

Sorted out the engine mounts on that yellow Marina today, while I was there she had a few spares to give to me. Not sure if I want to go back for the rest, there were some serious looking spiders where the parts are kept!
20190915_190156.JPG

locost_bryan

Post by locost_bryan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:25 am

Engine reconditioner came and picked up my TC engine. Young bloke and his older offsider. The older guy began reminiscing about Marinas, had fond memories of the Marina pickup they had as a work hack. Younger guy mentioned they'd done a few engines for MGs and Minis, seemed to have a good appreciation of them. Just have to wait until I hear back as to what they find needs doing.

Link to their website http://www.waer.co.nz/about-us.php Tempted to get them to install the engine, and run it on their dyno to see what it actually produces.
Bryan
Auckland NZ

1972 Morris Marina 1750 TC Coupe "Ozzy"
2008 Honda Jazz 1.3 CVT

Nothing gets the ladies hotter than software development analogies. Leonard Hofstadter - The Big Bang Theory.

locost_bryan

Post by locost_bryan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:00 am

Heard back from engine reconditioner. Engine has previously been bored out 40 thou, pistons and bores in good condition, crank just needs a polish, then new rings and bearings. Head has been crack tested, only needs hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel.

They're going to have a chat with their camshaft supplier to see if he can give it a slightly sportier profile without reducing the base circle too much.

Chuffed with that news.
Bryan
Auckland NZ

1972 Morris Marina 1750 TC Coupe "Ozzy"
2008 Honda Jazz 1.3 CVT

Nothing gets the ladies hotter than software development analogies. Leonard Hofstadter - The Big Bang Theory.

drinud

Post by drinud » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:59 am

:thumbup: :thumbup:
locost_bryan wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:00 am
Heard back from engine reconditioner. Engine has previously been bored out 40 thou, pistons and bores in good condition, crank just needs a polish, then new rings and bearings. Head has been crack tested, only needs hardened valve seats for unleaded fuel.

They're going to have a chat with their camshaft supplier to see if he can give it a slightly sportier profile without reducing the base circle too much.

Chuffed with that news.
September 1977 Morris Marina 1.3 Coupe
September 1977 Morris Marina 1.8 Saloon

MarinaCoupe
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by MarinaCoupe » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:08 am

Good stuff Bryan. Do you know what the current camshaft is? There may be a alternate BL cam from another car, with a better profile.