BMC/BL show Peterborough is no more!

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

lock1506

BMC/BL show Peterborough is no more!

Post by lock1506 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:49 pm

Just read in Classic Car Buyer newspaper today that the BL show in August has been cancelled and that last years anniversary show was their last. Such a shame, always been a good show and we used to enjoy the camping even though we noticed those numbers have dropped the last couple of years.

Pont.skins
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Re: BMC/BL show Peterborough is no more!

Post by Pont.skins » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Typical!! The first year that I don't have to worry about getting time off from work to attend. We had many a Grand Day (Weekend) Out with happy memories. I don't think the council helped by getting involved with the ridiculous parking scenario!! :frown:
Pont.Skins

MARINAMADBAZ

Post by MARINAMADBAZ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:47 pm

yes got a e mail
such a shame
I've been going for the past 15 years
gonna miss this show for meeting fellow marina ital owners and the good auto jumble
baz

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Such a shame. What were the reasons for cancelling? Always enjoyed going to the show but I certainly think that the inflexible parking rules did not help. Although I normally booked and did not have a problem and did not get fined, others did have issues when they asked to join the stand which was empty and told they could not.
" Pru, Its Kicking off "
1973 Morris Marina TC Jubilee
2013 BMW 328i M Sport F31

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Some of our members were treated quite badly last year IMHO, so we decided that we wouldn’t support the show this year, instead going for the Milton Keynes Show.

I think that some other clubs had similar experiences.

The organisers have said that the main reason is that some of the organising team are retiring after 25 years and those not retiring felt that they couldn’t continue without them.

The point about the council parking charges won’t have helped the situation. Numbers attending have been down since the parking process was introduced.

It’s a shame, I have always enjoyed attending the show and booking the club stand.

timspencer

Post by timspencer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:26 am

Retiring??? Hmmm I doubt that... :o

I imagine its down to it not making any money due lack of attendance, mainly thanks to self important organisers and stupid jobsworth rules on yearly parking not allowing non registered cars to park together if they weren't from the same decade!, plus paying for parking was a real pita, sealed its fate sadly, last year the numbers were pitiful (about 50% down), such a shame as was one of the best, 10 years ago it was one of the biggest shows anywhere, the autojumble itself was superb.

People (myself included) tried to speak to the organisers and asked to go back to the previous years "park where you want" but they refused to listen saying our new was is better (one lady in particular was very unhelpful and got all upset and said she was being picked on) and I was told if f I don't like it I can stay away....as did many people which is madness as it was a lot easier!

I've found that the best shows are the ones with least amount of hiviz hitlers

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:14 pm

Same thing here regarding Swansea Singleton car show. It's been going since the early 70's I think, at least forty years but all that's there now is the radio road show and the fair. They used to have a massive autojumble and the turn out was always great. A year or two ago the guy who runs it decided to ban cars that are made after 1987 because he got fed up of too many 'moderns' turning up. Thing is, the usual 60's and 70's cars are now getting very scarce and shows need new blood, just like veteran cars I suppose were more common at shows forty years ago before cars like the Marina and Cortina started making a presence. Unfortunately, new blood means cars like 1990's Honda Civics and Ford Ka's but I guess Cortina, Viva's and Marinas were seen the same way for a while next to veteran cars.