electric fuel pump

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Daveylozzy

electric fuel pump

Post by Daveylozzy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:35 pm

Hi all,
Bit left field but.. Can anyone recommend a Brand or type of electric fuel pump for my Vauxhall Victor 2.3l. It's standard carb and the cam drive is caput. I'm aware that some 1800 marina's have had similar problems and I was looking for what your solution was.
I've tried one of the cheap (entry level) Facet type and I've found it to be too noisy and and not powerful enough (it also needs to be fitted below or at the tank level and fitted vertically).
With thanks in advance, Dave.

MarinaCoupe

Re: electric fuel pump

Post by MarinaCoupe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 pm

I used one of these FuelFlow 015 for years on my twin SU carb 1800 Marina, quiet and very reliable. The manufacturers are based in New Zealand, but they are readily available in the UK. They are suitable for SUs and Strombergs, but Weber’s and a Dell’ortos need a higher fuel pressure rate.

They are best mounted low down close to the petrol tank, ideally on small rubber mounts. As with all electric pumps, you’ll need to fit some kind of collision cut out.

http://www.fuelflow.co.nz/FF_cms_03/esh ... duct_id=73

eBay search https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FuelFlow-015 ... 1016709034

Daveylozzy

Post by Daveylozzy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am

That's interesting. I see that there are quite a few rear mounted pumps available on eBay. It maybe worth my while fitting a rear mounted one. I did have a New Zealand made fuel pump on my Morris minor few years ago and it was reliable (exactly like a bulkhead mounted SU).

MARINAMADBAZ

Post by MARINAMADBAZ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:45 pm

what's the best pressure rating for a electric furled pump for a bigger engine marina?
baz

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:35 am

All SUs, what ever engine only need 2-3 psi, any more and the excess pressure lifts the float needle valve off it’s seat and floods the carbs. A fuel pump for a Weber or Dell’orto carb will have about 5-7 psi, which is enough to cause the problem. I recall some years back that Simon Thornber fit a pump for a Weber on his 1800 Pickup, the fuel was pouring out of the float chambers all over the exhaust manifold, so potentially very dangerous. Rather than buy the right pump, Simon bought an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, but it was never wholly successful.

It’s one of those mods where if you choose the right parts first time, you’ll have no problem. It’s definitely a case of more (fuel pressure) is not good.

The FuelFlow 015 worked fine on my tuned twin-carb B series, so would be fine on a 1.7 or 2.0 litre O Series. Fuel Flow reckon that it’s fine on engines up to 3.0 litres.