VIBRATION

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

paul

VIBRATION

Post by paul » Sun May 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Ok, so, to add insult to injury, i not only have the noisiest gearbox in town, still to be looked at, but now the poor van has developed a horrible vibration at around 50 to 60 mph. not felt at the steering wheel, so suspect the rear end somewhere, what does anybody think?

Morris McKinnon

Re: VIBRATION

Post by Morris McKinnon » Sun May 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Probably the prop shaft. Mine rumbles but only when changing gear, I have to let the engine rev a little higher than normal before changing gear but is fine at speed.
I have a 1.3 gearbox if you need one. It's unknown condition but the guy I got it from said it was good. He was a genuine guy so have no reason to not believe him.

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Sun May 12, 2019 8:05 pm

I had a rumble similar at 50MPH and the propshaft was the origianl with new UJs and centre bearing. Turned out to be the 3 UJ joints were not out of phase. So I had to take the rear one off and move round on the shaft so it was 90 deg out compared to the next one. The other 2 were OK.
Now much better.
Only found this out when another member looked under my car and noticed it. Pretty sure I assembled it as it was in the first place so maybe always been that way.
this is the y shape piece I am talking about not the centre UJ.
It made it out of balance at 50. You could go past it and it would go quite but 50 ish was the bad point.
This may have worn the rear sliding shaft on my prop but it is OK currently but will need to be renewed at some point as there is very small amount of rotary play which was not present when I first fitted it.

Just a thought.
Paul.
" Pru, Its Kicking off "
1973 Morris Marina TC Jubilee
2013 BMW 328i M Sport F31

paul

Post by paul » Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Hi Morris, thank you, but i have two gearboxes awaiting a professional inspection before i fit the best of, as for the propshaft JubileeNut, nothing has been moved along the prop line in at least 30.000 miles, and there's no vibration through the gearstick, This is also something that appears to of happened overnight.so could it still be propshaft?

david painter

Post by david painter » Sun May 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Rear Wheel Balance / Seized universal joint in propshaft would be main possible culprits
Dave