Seat Belt Buckles

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

locost_bryan

Seat Belt Buckles

Post by locost_bryan » Mon May 25, 2020 11:05 pm

Did the UK Marina have the Britax seat beat binnacle, with this style of buckle? Was it shared with any other BL cars? The Stag had a similar binnacle, but the buckle has two square holes instead of one rectangular hole.

Would like to fit inertia reel belts, but retain the original binnacle instead of fitting stalks.
Attachments
Annotation (3).png
Annotation (3).png (65.94 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Bryan
Auckland NZ

1972 Morris Marina 1750 TC Coupe "Ozzy"

MarinaCoupe

Re: Seat Belt Buckles

Post by MarinaCoupe » Mon May 25, 2020 11:12 pm

My Mk1 SDL had the seat belt binnacle, I can’t remember buckle type though. The buckle was on a static strap about 30cm long, which then attached to the main retractable seat belt. Most of the plastic binnacle surrounds get broken as it possible to jam the the seat belt buckle between the surround and the catch and smash the plastic. My Stag has exactly the same arrangement and same problem.

I think that they may have been fitted to other early 1970s Triumphs like the 2000/2500.

Gee tc
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Gee tc » Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 pm

You'd need to find someone breaking a car tbh.
They used similar arrangements in austin 11/1300 cars.
In my car I have that buckle and inertia belts. Mk1 only.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

locost_bryan

Post by locost_bryan » Tue May 26, 2020 1:10 am

Thanks for the feedback. I've been browsing the net, and the only photos I've found of seat belts in UK BL cars so far show the Mini changed to stalks about 1975 (earlier brochure pics had no seatbelts). Australian Minis had the same binnacle in 1972, so I assume all Leyland Australia cars used the same design. I've found some photos of Triumph 2500s and Minis in NZ that had the binnacle, but couldn't see the buckle, however since they would have been assembled here, I expect the local assembler would have used the same belts and binnacles in everything.
Bryan
Auckland NZ

Morris McKinnon

Post by Morris McKinnon » Tue May 26, 2020 1:09 pm

My girlfriends car has the box with inertia and my old red Marina used to have the same but with static belts, so they came in both versions. I have a box full of these, both static and inertia, but probably need re-webbing.

JakeNZ

Post by JakeNZ » Wed May 27, 2020 11:08 pm

locost_bryan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:10 am Thanks for the feedback. I've been browsing the net, and the only photos I've found of seat belts in UK BL cars so far show the Mini changed to stalks about 1975 (earlier brochure pics had no seatbelts). Australian Minis had the same binnacle in 1972, so I assume all Leyland Australia cars used the same design. I've found some photos of Triumph 2500s and Minis in NZ that had the binnacle, but couldn't see the buckle, however since they would have been assembled here, I expect the local assembler would have used the same belts and binnacles in everything.
I've got a Leyland Marina, 1973 and its got a set of Made in Australia quick release buckles. The bit on the belt just kinda has a hook shape in the end while the bit attached to the floor is a curved bit of plastic that it hooks around.

Not sure if its factory/dealership.

locost_bryan

Post by locost_bryan » Fri May 29, 2020 3:32 am

That doesn't sound like factory. Can you post a pic of it?
Bryan
Auckland NZ