Pinion oil seal

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

martinclan

Pinion oil seal

Post by martinclan » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:35 pm

Can anyone suggest a reliable supplier for the pinion oil seal?
The one I have purchased, via a regular seller on eBay, doesn't fit. It seams to be the right external diameter but the hole which carries the lips which seal to the drive flange body is too big.
And the Haynes manual infers its a felt seal - but I guess that is just out of date info?
Cheers Robin

Ps - are all the pinion oil seals the same - or does it change according to year and model?

david painter

Re: Pinion oil seal

Post by david painter » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:04 pm

Try searching for Triumph Dolomite excluding sprint TR7 4 Speed Spitfire and GT6 all use basically the same diff Rimmers Moss and TD Fittichet should be able to help. Measuring the outer and inner seal diameters means you will be able to go to a local bearing supplier and purchase one by size
Dave

MarinaCoupe

Post by MarinaCoupe » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:49 pm

Here you go - this is the one. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-DAM5079

The early Marina oil seals were leather, you soaked them in oil overnight first so they would swell up before fitting. No need to do that with modern viton rubber seals.

martinclan

Post by martinclan » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:33 am

Ok - thanks all. It seems that I was simply sent the wrong seal. Armed with the part number DAM5079 I should be able to get the correct one.

Interestingly, the original seal does seem to be NOT rubber - so I guess it must be leather. Wow. That almost competes with the wooden wedges you use as seals when rebuiding a triumph 6 cylinder engine.....

Cheers, Robin