Painting steering wheels - what paint?

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

leylandmarina

Painting steering wheels - what paint?

Post by leylandmarina » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:26 am

Not sure if this has been covered before (i wasnt able to find using the Search?)

My mk1 estate has a brown steering wheel that needs refurbishing due to numerous marks and scratches on the centre bar, the soft centre bar pad also needs attention as it has worn through to black in places.

Does anyone know of a good paint (and colour shade to match Sorrell) that might be suitable?

I've been looking at Plastikote Fast Dry Enamel Aerosol Nut Brown?

Many thanks

Pete

Morris McKinnon

Re: Painting steering wheels - what paint?

Post by Morris McKinnon » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:06 pm

leylandmarina wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:26 am Not sure if this has been covered before (i wasnt able to find using the Search?)

My mk1 estate has a brown steering wheel that needs refurbishing due to numerous marks and scratches on the centre bar, the soft centre bar pad also needs attention as it has worn through to black in places.

Does anyone know of a good paint (and colour shade to match Sorrell) that might be suitable?

I've been looking at Plastikote Fast Dry Enamel Aerosol Nut Brown?

Many thanks

Pete

I've repainted a few of them, and dashboards using aerosol. Halfords Maple Brown is very close to the original colour. It's a bit lighter, but I think looks far nicer than the original Autumn Leaf brown. Make sure you scuff the steering wheel good and then polish the heck out of it when the paint has cured.

leylandmarina

Re: Painting steering wheels - what paint?

Post by leylandmarina » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Thanks Morris - appreciate the info, cheers