Fuel pumps

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

morris575van

Fuel pumps

Post by morris575van » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:36 am

I think my fuel pump is at the end of its life every now and then I get a slight hesitation at causing speed and the other day it wouldn't Rev up so i think it's time for new one should I stay on the manual or upgrade to an electric one

MarinaCoupe

Fuel pumps

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:44 am

A new mechanical pump will be cheapest and quickest to fit. Unless your engine is tuned and needs more fuel than a mechanical one can deliver, the only other justification is that electric is sexy. It will mean running new wiring to power and fuse an electric pump and some kind of collision cut-out, so that if the engine stops, the pump doesn't carry on pumping. You could consider a relay in the circuit as well. Canadian and I think US Mk1s originally had an MGB electric pump.

I fitted an electric pump on my tuned B series Coupe, but replaced the Pickup's mechanical pump with a new mechanical one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jiversteve

Re: Fuel pumps

Post by jiversteve » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:01 am

A small tip for fitting a new mechanical fuel pump.
Some were bolted, some were studded to the block.
For me studding was the way to go it allows the assembly of the gaskets and insulator spacer and then sliding on the pump.
That way you don't need two hands to align everything and thread a bolt throug whilst ensuring that the fuel pump arm does not slip alongside the camshaft lobe.

Perhaps more of a marlin issue where the chassis rail runs close to the pump.
Not a Marina owner, built in 1985 from a 1974 1.8TC MOT failure.
See Marlin History.
http://www.5speedmarina.com
Type 9 gearbox, Vented front discs, Dolly Sprint axle with disc conversion.
Next project? Megajolt?

morris575van

Post by morris575van » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:29 pm

all my wiring is pretty much moved now anyway as i have moved the battery from under the bonnet space and hidden away inside the van allowing me to run a hidden cut off key and new fuse box, i was looking on ebay for a new manual pump but cant see any any where else i can pick one up from ?

another thing while im on the search for bits braided brake pipes do they make them for marinas my mates fitted them to his herold and hes sworn by them really improved his stopping distance seen them for austins

MarinaCoupe

Fuel pumps

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:53 pm

Mechanical pump here http://sucarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/pumps/id/1952/

If you go for an electric pump, there are two types - low pressure for SU carbs (2-5 psi) and higher pressure for Weber/Dellorto (5-7 psi), the Weber ones won't work properly with an SU carb.

Flexi pipes - Goodridge list the Marina as KCB-7-137-3 however Marinamadbaz on here had a bunch made up and is lots cheaper.

Last edited by MarinaCoupe on Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morris575van

Post by morris575van » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:54 pm

as always thank you very much always guiding me in the right direction love this site :)

MarinaCoupe

Fuel pumps

Post by MarinaCoupe » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Anything to keep another car on the road.

Or this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MARINA ... 1395531591