1.8HL auto - update

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

mickthefitter

Re: 1.8HL auto - update

Post by mickthefitter » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:27 pm

And that part, Rick, I assure you, is a mystery to me too! When I removed the Kenlowe fan and disconnected and took out the wiring to it (all bright green, I might still have some of it at home) I assumed the fuse was there only for the fan, but naturally left the fuse where it was as there was no reason not to. So I never lost the wipers, reverse lights etc. so never suspected such an alteration to the wiring!

palacebear

Post by palacebear » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:43 pm

mickthefitter wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:27 pm And that part, Rick, I assure you, is a mystery to me too! When I removed the Kenlowe fan and disconnected and took out the wiring to it (all bright green, I might still have some of it at home) I assumed the fuse was there only for the fan, but naturally left the fuse where it was as there was no reason not to. So I never lost the wipers, reverse lights etc. so never suspected such an alteration to the wiring!
To be honest Mick, having now satisfied myself that there is a fuse in the circuit, I'm inclined to leave well alone. 'If it ain't broke....' etc.

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:27 pm

Oh yeah I agree. No point in messing with it now you know how it works.

palacebear

Post by palacebear » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:07 pm

Thought it was time for an update - not that there's a lot to tell. The fine, hot weather in July tempted me to go for a few longish and random drives. I clocked up 200-odd miles over three afternoons. The car behaved pretty well although it got a little too hot when I was stuck in a traffic queue at roadworks near Bromsgrove.

Ownership is still a learning curve. My driveway slopes steeply. Early in August, the car spent 10 days parked on the drive facing down the slope. When I used it again, the engine rattled horribly on start-up thanks to the slope causing the oil pump to be starved of oil 😲 Lesson learned... park it facing up the slope in future!

At the end of August I noticed a faint smell of petrol both under the bonnet and in the boot. I found the front flexi pipe into the pump was showing signs of deterioration, despite being fairly new. As I was nursing a shoulder injury (I'd fallen over a small dog on a very long lead) I didn't fancy crawling about under the car so I found a local old-school garage to do the hard work for me. They ultimately replaced the flexi pipe mentioned above, along with the one from the tank exit and the one attached to the tank breather. They also went round with the grease gun, adjusted the bonnet catch and tweaked the idle speed a fraction.

That brings me to September, and to the BL/BMC/Rover day and Mini show at the British Motor Museum, Gaydon. I was there, on the Owners club stand, for what was my first (and probably my last) 'proper' show of 2020. Again, the Marina performed well on the 90 mile round trip. A great day out and it was nice to meet some other Marina/Ital folk.
20200906_191909.jpg
20200906_180629.jpg

PHUQ

Post by PHUQ » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:25 pm

Good to meet you Rick and good to see the car again- thanks for bringing it! Apologies for parking you with the riff- raff...
Matt
1974 1973 Tundra Black Tulip 1800 SDL TC Estate "Mud"- Freshly Franked rolling shell.
Really, really horrible 1974 Black Tulip 1300 DL- Basically compost.

JoshWard

Post by JoshWard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:41 pm

Yes sorry if yours caught any rust from mine!
Club archivist/chief anorak
1936 Ford Model Y- On loan from the CCLP
1967 Triumph Herald
1971 1.3 DL Coupe (VRU362J)
1971 1.3 SDL Coupe (JGC240K)
1971 1.3 SDL Saloon (OVW292K)
1971 1.8 SDL Coupe (MCU274K)
1980 Ital 1.3 HL (NPB34W)

mickthefitter

Post by mickthefitter » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:46 am

palacebear wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:07 pm Thought it was time for an update - not that there's a lot to tell. The fine, hot weather in July tempted me to go for a few longish and random drives. I clocked up 200-odd miles over three afternoons. The car behaved pretty well although it got a little too hot when I was stuck in a traffic queue at roadworks near Bromsgrove.

Ownership is still a learning curve. My driveway slopes steeply. Early in August, the car spent 10 days parked on the drive facing down the slope. When I used it again, the engine rattled horribly on start-up thanks to the slope causing the oil pump to be starved of oil 😲 Lesson learned... park it facing up the slope in future!

At the end of August I noticed a faint smell of petrol both under the bonnet and in the boot. I found the front flexi pipe into the pump was showing signs of deterioration, despite being fairly new. As I was nursing a shoulder injury (I'd fallen over a small dog on a very long lead) I didn't fancy crawling about under the car so I found a local old-school garage to do the hard work for me. They ultimately replaced the flexi pipe mentioned above, along with the one from the tank exit and the one attached to the tank breather. They also went round with the grease gun, adjusted the bonnet catch and tweaked the idle speed a fraction.

That brings me to September, and to the BL/BMC/Rover day and Mini show at the British Motor Museum, Gaydon. I was there, on the Owners club stand, for what was my first (and probably my last) 'proper' show of 2020. Again, the Marina performed well on the 90 mile round trip. A great day out and it was nice to meet some other Marina/Ital folk.20200906_191909.jpg20200906_180629.jpg
Hi Rick. Be aware that there’s a short section of flexi fuel pipe that joins the outlet from the tank to a steel fuel pipe that goes around the back axle. I changed the original at the same time I renewed the other stuff. I was under the impression I had bought ethanol rated fuel hose, but because of what you have said, it is possible I was mid-sold something. The hose that was on the car when I bought it was going like jelly and expanding internally, particularly at the junctions to the fuel pump (which I had to renew) and the length of hose that goes into the chassis pressings. When I renewed all the hose I could see the section from the tank was very old with a cloth braid and the original metal spring hose clips (the rest was clamped by a variety of small jubilee clips, which go oval when tightened) so I used all new hose and proper fuel hose clamps. When I got the braided hose off the tank (with the back of the car on wheel ramps) it had gone very hard and rigid, but the bore was in remarkably good condition considering the gel like consistency on the more recent pipe fitted elsewhere. Seems odd that a 40 year old rubber pipe could stand up to modern fuel better than newer pipe. Anyway once removed I had no option but to use my new hose and new hose clamps. I had begun to notice surface crazing on the new fuel pipe in some places before I sold the car, but didn’t really understand why that was. I think I had to disturb one of the hoses at some point and at the time, it seemed okay internally. Now the car has been to a garage it probably isn’t worth disturbing the pipe on the tank if it’s not giving trouble, but just know it’s made of the same tuff as the rest of it, if that section hasn’t been changed.

Gee tc
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Gee tc » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:25 am

Just a quick note slightly related.
Early Mk1 cars have an extra rubber hose that goes from the tank to the metal vent which travels up into and back out of the boot area.
I'd done all my hoses but completely forgot about this. I'll be going this but may need to drop the tank to do so.
It doesn't carry fuel, but will be splashed often when the cars out and about and the fuel level is high