Someone save this 1973 Marina TC Auto, Please!

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

BL-NUT-2004

Someone save this 1973 Marina TC Auto, Please!

Post by BL-NUT-2004 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:12 am

Hi all

Seen this on facebook, it looks in need of a bit of welding and a replacement bootlid and getting it running but surely this is a rare car that deserves to be saved? It's priced so low its in risk of being bought by the b@nger boys.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... tory_share

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Sixteen year old BL nut! I am studying at Chesterfield College doing my GCSE's cos I was a twonk at school ;)
Then hoping to get an Apprenticeship working with British Leyland Cars (Restoration, Servicing etc) :surprised:

MarinaCoupe

Re: Someone save this 1973 Marina TC Auto, Please!

Post by MarinaCoupe » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:17 pm

It was originally for sale for £500, bought and offered for several thousand £ on eBay.

It’s rare car, but my guess is that you’ll need £5000 for welding and a respray.

BL-NUT-2004

Post by BL-NUT-2004 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:43 pm

MarinaCoupe wrote:It was originally for sale for £500, bought and offered for several thousand £ on eBay.

It’s rare car, but my guess is that you’ll need £5000 for welding and a respray.
I prefer them in their working clothes, myself. A bit of grey primer and a driveway resto type job is how I do things haha ImageImage

Sixteen year old BL nut! I am studying at Chesterfield College doing my GCSE's cos I was a twonk at school ;)
Then hoping to get an Apprenticeship working with British Leyland Cars (Restoration, Servicing etc) :surprised:

PHUQ

Post by PHUQ » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:46 am

BL-NUT-2004 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:43 pm
MarinaCoupe wrote:It was originally for sale for £500, bought and offered for several thousand £ on eBay.

I prefer them in their working clothes, myself. A bit of grey primer and a driveway resto type job is how I do things haha ImageImage

I agree with your sentiment and I love cars that look like they've had a life, but are still well cared for. Carl's black tulip TC saloon is a brilliant example of that.

Trouble is this car is so rough that you'll end up back where you started in fairly short order with that approach, there's not enough good left to preserve in that way. Paint isn't just there to look pretty and primer gives no protection against rust! Unless you're a competent welder and are happy with a DIY paint job I'd say Chris' valuation is about right. Even if you could DIY it to a good standard it will need a few thousand spending unfortunately.

I'd love to see it saved but it's a lot of work. I've sunk enough money and time into the one I have (that's still got a long way to go) to put me off for a few years yet :lol:
Matt
1974 1973 Tundra Black Tulip 1800 SDL TC Estate "Mud"- Freshly Franked rolling shell.
Really, really horrible 1974 Black Tulip 1300 DL- Basically compost.

Gee tc
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Gee tc » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:45 am

I was tempted....
But two the same and a second mortgage put me off.
This car is just too far gone unless you have a fair chunk of money to sink in with not much return.
T

BL-NUT-2004

Post by BL-NUT-2004 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:47 am

Your quite right PHUQ, I was just having a laugh ;) it obviously needs a whole back end welding, wheel arches, bootlid slam panel, etc etc. Rust has eaten this one alive sadly and to be honest I'm not convinced of the reliability of that Borg and Worner? Automatic gearbox. Id probably swap it for a 4 or 5 speed (overdrive with MGB axle). I wish I had the money to save it (and I would) but I don't even have enough money to buy the damn thing. Image

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk

trunnions ftw

Post by trunnions ftw » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:00 am

Borg Warner type 35 boxes are fine behind rover v8 engines so live an easy life with small B series units, welding is the expense as your competing against the white collar contingent for a depleted and fragile resource of panels however alot of the inner stuff is easy to make and improvise at least.

tathoarder
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by tathoarder » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:13 am

Looks like this has now been broken going on the parts they are now listing on eBay.