Alternative Gearbox

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

martinclan

Alternative Gearbox

Post by martinclan » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:18 pm

I am considering fitting an overdrive gearbox in the Marlin. Is there something that is a bolt in swap? I have chased various threads and it seems the Spitfire 1500 may fit the bill, and is still commonly available.
Is it a straight swap? I have seen differing opinions!
I have a brand new Marina box which came with the car. I don't really want to swap bits over from that as I would rather pass it on as a going concern to some deserving person/car.
I think there was some good info on the MarinaCoupe Web site but last time I looked it seemed to be down.
Cheers Robin

MarinaCoupe

Re: Alternative Gearbox

Post by MarinaCoupe » Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:07 pm

Hi Robin,

Yes the website is down at the moment, I have recently changed web hosting provider and the new system doesn’t handle my antiquated software, so I have to spend sometime reformatting everything.

The Spitfire 1500 O/D gearbox has the same ratios as the Marina 1800. However the Spitfire input shaft is too short and won’t reach the Marina clutch, when the Spitfire gearbox is mounted to the Marina bellhousing. The Marina input shaft will substitute directly into the front of the Spitfire gearbox, that’s how I built mine up.

You’ll need to work out how to arrange the rear gearbox mount, utilising the yoke mount from the Spitfire/Dolomite range. If you have any queries do contact me.

martinclan

Re: Alternative Gearbox

Post by martinclan » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Thanks Chris
So I would need to find a Marina input shaft then. I don't want to destroy the existing (new) Marina gearbox.
Not to worried about the mount as the existing Marlin one is not exactly great and I was going to re-invent it anyway.

Good luck with the website. I gave up playing with such things 10 years ago when the technology started to move faster than me :-) But I am sure you'll find a solution.

Cheers Robin