Picked up a new project today.....

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Uncle Frank
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Uncle Frank » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:14 pm

BTW..Sorry Chris we seem to have got side tracked talking about bad hair !!, back to the subject in hand, did the saloons in the US, Outnumber the Coupes? there seems to be more of them around, also i was wondering if you ever spotted the GT Coupe in the Paul Newman film "The drowning pool", it was a really smart gold colour with the full export stripe kit on it.
MORRIS MARINA OWNERS CLUB.
WWW.morrismarina.org.uk
The original and still the best since 1985.

USspecGT

Post by USspecGT » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:22 am

Havent seen the Drowning Pool film. I will have to see if I can find it somewhere. I am not sure on the number of coupes vs saloons. Would be nice to find out what kind of numbers the cars came over here in. ...

Although at last years car show I spoke to a gent that used to own a BL dealership over here back in the day. He told me that when MGBs and Midgets were selling over here like hot cakes the dealerships couldn't get hold of them for love nor money they were told "If your dealership wants part of the next shipment of MGBs you have to sell XX number of Marinas". Apparently most of the Marinas he sold were to wives of affluent men. He was an interesting fellow to listen to. If I see him again this year I will see if I can find out from him.

Hopefully ol' red will be done by then. :lol:

Chris.

JubileeNut
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by JubileeNut » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Just had a closer look at those pictures and that car does not seem to hav a floor left on the drives side and the other side has a plant or two growing so i guess that has little metal left two!!!!
And I thought I had no floor!!! :shock:

Plus they have put the steering wheel on the wrong side!! :lol:

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin
Location: 4 Counties: North Warwickshire / South Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Leicestershire

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:51 pm

how did it get that bad!!!! You wanna get it over to my mate Chip Foose and see what he can do with it!!! 408ci Hemi! :P
Morris Marina Owners Club: Magazine Editor
'73 MG Marina Turbo Saloon - Back on the road with T16 turbo power
'72 TC Coupe' 'SLK' - 1950cc - Asleep - possible retirement project E.T.A 2049

USspecGT

Post by USspecGT » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:19 pm

Nah, Chip Foose would want to shave the door handles and with no door handles I wouldn't be able to piss off Lotus and Range Rover owners at the brit car shows....

"You paid how much for a car with Marina door handles?!!?"

Car had been sitting in the weeds for 20+ years, the weeds were actually about two feet above the car when it was pulled out.

Chris.

ClaytonSpeed
FMM Site Admin
FMM Site Admin
Location: 4 Counties: North Warwickshire / South Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Leicestershire

Post by ClaytonSpeed » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:31 pm

How did you get to hear about it? I mean Marina's in the US must be rare anyway but to find even a rusty shell has gotta be rare!
Morris Marina Owners Club: Magazine Editor
'73 MG Marina Turbo Saloon - Back on the road with T16 turbo power
'72 TC Coupe' 'SLK' - 1950cc - Asleep - possible retirement project E.T.A 2049

USspecGT

Post by USspecGT » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:20 pm

Found it about 5 miles from me. Local MG dealer. He had about 15 or 20 Marina parts cars at one time but scrapped them all when he stopped getting calls about them in the early 90s. He is having a "spring clean" right now and found it in the weeds at the corner of the yard.

He isn't quite done cleaning up yet and I have a feeling there may be another "little treasure" hiding back there. Photos soon, I promise.

Chris