BATTERY

**Topics directly related to Marinas and Itals**

Moderators: ClaytonSpeed, balmy

Mandator

Re: BATTERY

Post by Mandator » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:15 pm

david painter wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:37 am Stop Start systems use Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) Batteries rather than Flooded Lead Acid Batteries. The AGM battery is supposed to be more stable for the constant use of starter motor. The cars electronic system has a battery shunt built into the Negative battery lead in most cases this shunt is also connected to the Positive battery terminal then is wired to a managment module via CAN ( Control Area Network) this can either be a separate module or built into systems this module holds the battery data Ie type and battery capacity. this is then used to monitor the state of charge the battery this is then used along with other data as to whether the stop start system is deployed it also monitors battery condition in the cars rest state and can turn off consumers in low charge situations ie heater rear window heated seats etc. These batteries do not usually fail as in not starting the car but fail to hold enough charge to work Stop Start and put a message on the dash. Hope that explains why we use them on modern cars. As for our Marinas most do have a AC charging system ( alternator) with a decent quality alternator fitted with a good voltage regulator there is no reason why a AGM or Calcuim battery cannot be used as the basic alternator is no different to what is fitted on a Marina even if computer control can switch it on and off as required on todays cars . There is no need to put a expensive AGM type battery as car has no stop start etc. There is also very little choice out there of the correct shape and size to fit a Marina. I personally have a Lion battery fitted this sits all winter usually flat then charged for use it has been like this for the last 7 years without problems. I am not a personal fan of Yuasa batteries I do see a high failure rate on these when fitted on BMW Mercedes and VAG and cause all sorts of electrical problems. That said I did have to change a Morgan plus 4 battery the other day that I maintain the only battery that will fit on that is a Yuasa due to location the last one fitted ( Yuasa) lasted 10 years and was a normal black housing lead acid part the same as would have been fitted to a Marina Mini etc
Dave
Thanks for the info.
You stated you use Lion Batteries. Can you give me the specs so I know I am fitting the correct one.
I have been looking at a 159 45 amp/hours CCA 330. Does this fit the bill?

Regards

david painter

Post by david painter » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:13 pm

]That will be fine for a Marina shape and size is important to fit in tray correctly the original British Battery Number is a 038
038 battery.jpg
Capacity45 Ah
CategoriesBatteriesCCA330
Height200 mm
Hold DownB12
Length239 mm
Terminals1/
1UK Reference No38

Dave

Mandator

Post by Mandator » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:37 pm

david painter wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:13 pm ]That will be fine for a Marina shape and size is important to fit in tray correctly the original British Battery Number is a 038
038 battery.jpg

Capacity45 Ah
CategoriesBatteriesCCA330
Height200 mm
Hold DownB12
Length239 mm
Terminals1/
1UK Reference No38

Dave
Brilliant. Thanks muchly :-D

Gee tc
FMM Supporter
FMM Supporter

Post by Gee tc » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:51 am

My battery, a Yuasa from 2012 failed over the winter from sitting. Usually I disconnect it and leave with it working fine when reconnected. This year I had to do a full charger session which got the car started for it to fail again after a month.
I ended up buying an 038 Napa brand battery from my local factors with a 5 year warranty costing a few pence under £60.
T

david painter

Post by david painter » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:45 pm

Yuasa batteries give me all sorts of headaches at work on modern cars wouldnt have one uless no other choice NAPA battery gives a good warranty new in the UK common in the States though
Dave